Buccaneers Score Twice in Road Loss to Bridgewater


BRIDGEWATER, Mass — Maritime men’s soccer traveled up the road to Bridgewater on Saturday to take on the Bears in conference play. Though the Buccaneers fell behind 2-0 in the first half, they scored twice in the second half to erase the clean sheet in their 4-2 loss to league leading Bridgewater State.

The Basics

Final: Bears 4, Buccaneers 2

Records: Bridgewater (7-2-4, 4-0-1)

               Maritime (2-9-2, 0-4-1)

Inside The Numbers


  • The Buccaneers got goals from senior captain CJ Vincent and sophomore Luke Twomey.
  • Ryan Soughou was given an assist on the Vincent score.
  • Goalkeeper Kaden Winter played the first half making four saves and allowing two goals. Payton Neale played the second half allowing two goals on two shots.
  • In total, the Bucs took 11 shots, five on target, and took four corner kicks in the game with three in the second half.

Bridgewater State

  • Nicholas Ribeiro scored twice for the hosts in the win.
  • Filippo Mucci and Dominek Borden each scored once for the Bears.
  • Goalkeeper William Russell played just over 80 minutes in the match and made one save while allowing a goal. Lukas Ekmani played the final nine plus minutes of the game and made a save while allowing a goal.
  • In total, the Bears took 21 shots, nine on target, and had five corners in the victory.

How It Happened

Mucci scored first for the Bears early on in the seventh minute with his fourth goal of the season to give the Bears a 1-0 lead. Later in the half, in the 27th minute, Ribeiro scored to give his team a 2-0 lead that the bears took to halftime. 

In the second half, just six minutes in, the Buccaneers cut the deficit in half on a goal from Vincent, his fifth of the season, on a pass from Soughou. The Bucs trailed 2-1 after 52 minutes. Not long after the Bucs first goal, Ribeiro scored his second in the 55th minute to retake a two-goal lead, 3-1. On a defensive blunder by the Buccaneers in the 77th minute, Borden scored from a tight angle which made the score 4-1 Bridgewater. With 33 second left on the clock, Ekmanis took down Soughou in the box and was booked, giving Maritime a penalty kick opportunity. Twomey stepped up and in the 90th minute cut the Bears lead to two goals, 4-2. The final seconds ran off the clock and Bridgewater earned the 4-2 victory to remain undefeated in the MASCAC standings.

What’s Next

Maritime is back home on Tuesday, October 17th to take on Lesley University in non-conference play at Clean Harbors Stadium at 7pm.

Search this website